Below you can find the procedure to reset CentOS Redhat Fedora Debian Ubuntu AIX Kali VMWare and any other Linux root Password
Method 1 – Boot it in Lunux Single Mode
- While booting, On the Grub boot menu screen press ‘e’
- This will enable edit option in the grub menu .
- Go to the line which contains the word ‘kernel‘ and press ‘e’ to edit the line
- Go to end of that line and enter ‘linux single‘
- Then press ‘esc‘ twice and press ‘b‘ to boot the system in single mode.
- Now the system will boot in the single user mode.
- On the console type: passwd root
- Now enter your new root password.
Method 2 – Linux Rescue Mode
Please try out the following steps to change the root password
- Boot the computer with linux Installation CD.
- Select linux Rescue mode
- When the #sh prompt is reached, enter the following commands to change the mount point.
- Now enter the following command to change the root password.
- Now enter your new password.